Part E Acoustic Testing

Part E Building Regulations acoustic assessments examine the design of interior surfaces, windows and ventilation systems to ensure they meet sound absorption standards. Our experts are here to provide you with knowledgeable guidance so that your property can be equipped with the best soundproofing solutions available.

Same day quote

Booking made within 24 hrs

3-5 day turnaround

Did you know that we also offer a range of other services?

 What is Part E Acoustic testing?

Unwanted noise from neighbours can be a huge source of stress in the home. Part E Acoustic testing aim to provide relief from this problem with soundproofing solutions that meet building regulations.  The Building Regulations Part E applies to new builds and conversions in both England and Wales, providing a minimum standard of soundproofing.

Part E 1: Provides protection against sound from separating walls and floors from other parts of the same building and adjoining buildings.


Part E 2: Provides protection against sound internally within a dwelling-house, for example internal walls between a bedroom or a room containing a water closet and other rooms, and internal floors.

Part E 3: Provides protection against reverberation sound in the common internal parts of buildings containing flats or rooms for residential purposes.

The regs cover airborne sound and impact soundairborne sound resistance must be 45dB for separations between homes (43dB for conversion projects). Internal walls should provide at least 40dB of protection between bedrooms and other living spaces. This level easily muffles normal speech, TV or music sounds. Where there are doors leading into en suite bathrooms, an exception can be made.

For impact sound such as footsteps or dropped objects, the maximum transmittance level is 62dB for new builds (64 dB for conversions). At a development of fewer than 10 dwellings, meeting Part E regulations for soundproofing means testing 2 walls and floors using both airborne and impact testing methods. A small to medium-sized development should include these measures in order to ensure peace of mind for occupants. By following these guidelines, you can rest assured that your home will remain quiet and comfortable regardless of what’s happening outside or in other rooms. Our team is here to provide you with the guidance and expertise required to make sure the building meets all necessary criteria.

Why is Sound a Problem?

Sound often follows the path of least resistance, finding its way through small openings like service entry points or vibrating along nails and screws. Even when you take soundproofing measures, noise can still find a route around it! This is known as flanking transmission.

When constructing your home or business, there are several common pathways for noise that you should be aware of:

  • Fireplace chimneys with open flues between sound-resistant floors
  • Service entry holes for plumbing pipes and wiring
  • Double socket outlets on a single wall
  • Unsealed mortar joints that have gaps and holes
  • A lack of isolating void between ceiling boards and floor joists
  • Hard floor coverings without an isolation material beneath them.

By paying attention to these potential sources of unwanted sound, you can ensure your space is as quiet and peaceful as possible.

When should my development be tested?

For optimal success during sound testing, it is beneficial to involve us as early as possible in the development process. However, there are some necessary steps that need to be taken prior to the test that can increase the likelihood of passing. To ensure you meet all requirements, here is a checklist for preparing for sound insulation testing:

  • All windows and external doors must be installed, glazed and shut properly
  • The ventilation system should be ready and closed off
  • Internal doors should be hung correctly
  • Walls, floors and ceilings should be finished
  • Install skirting boards, electrical sockets and light switches where applicable
  • Avoid laying any flooring before impact sound transmission tests take place
  • Test rooms must remain empty and tidy throughout the procedure
  • Moreover , please make sure no tradespeople are working in or around either of the dwellings during acoustic testing;
  • Access to neighbouring properties is required and both require power
Installing sound part-e-acoustic insulation
part e acoustic testing a property
part e acoustic insulation in a property.

Get your Part E Acoustic Testing quote today …


When is a site ready for testing?

Preparing a site for testing prior to completion of the build is critical, as it allows us to take readings with more accuracy and conduct our tests in a quiet environment. Any background construction noise can easily compromise test results.

Doing so ensures that all installations – from windows and doors to trickle vents and power – are compliant from day one.

Please call 0333 772 2798 if you have any questions.

What is included?

At the design stage, we provide professional and friendly advice based on our extensive knowledge in acoustic assessments. Our experienced team will help you gain the necessary prior consent for any excess noise levels from the Principal Contractors. We are here to evaluate and ensure that all acoustic performance meets required planning conditions – from workplace noise and vibration assessments to building control sounds insulation testing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Installing hard floor finishes in an existing residential dwelling

If you’re considering changing or installing hardwood or wooden flooring in your leased residential dwelling, it’s important to make sure that your lease permits it. Many leases restrict such alterations; this applies even when replacing carpeted floors with their hardwood equivalents. The clause can range from simple to complex, so we suggest consulting an acoustic expert for a complete understanding of the required steps.

At Focus 360 Energy, we specialise in assisting clients with navigating these types of clauses and have done so successfully for hundreds of customers already. Our process involves:

  • Reviewing the lease to understand what is needed to meet compliance requirements
  • Carrying out baseline sound testing – this includes measuring the existing level of resistance against sound and requires access into your neighbour’s flat below for roughly 2.5 hours
  • Evaluating all data gathered including construction details and room acoustics – using our expertise, we can provide guidance on how best to proceed
What is Sound Insulation?

The transmission of sound from one room to the next, or from an outside source, is something that affects many buildings. To understand how effective a wall or other barrier is at reducing the passage of sound, it is beneficial to measure its performance with decibel readings (dB).

The higher the sound reduction index (R dB), the better job it does in blocking out unwanted noise. There are two types of sound insulation in buildings – airborne and impact. Airborne measures how much direct air-borne noise can be reduced while Impact measures sound pressure level below in adjacent rooms. Investing in high quality insulation can make all the difference when looking for peace and quiet!

Would it be okay to just soundproof the (wall, floor or ceiling) to pass Part E Building Regulations

It depends on the specific requirements of the Part E Building Regulations and the source of the noise being considered. Simply soundproofing a wall, floor, or ceiling may not be enough to meet the standards set out by the regulations if the noise is particularly loud or if it is coming from sources such as outside traffic or neighbouring properties. The Part E Building Regulations require that building elements such as walls, floors, and ceilings meet certain acoustic performance levels to ensure that the indoor environment is suitable for its intended use. To comply with the regulations, it is important to carry out a thorough acoustic assessment of the building and install appropriate sound insulation materials and systems to achieve the required acoustic performance levels. 

How do you test acoustic insulation?

To accurately assess the soundproofing of a wall or partition, we generate white noise in the source room at roughly 100 decibels. Then, by using a microphone that moves around the element being tested, we measure the average sound pressure level on the other side. 

How thick should acoustic insulation be?

Our experts recommend that you use 100mm sound insulation slabs between your floor joists for domestic floors that require soundproofing. This meets the standards set by Building Regulations, ensuring you have the best protection from noise.

What insulation is best for acoustics?

If you need a solution to reduce sound from leaving your room, mineral wool insulation can be a great choice! It not only helps to absorb airborne noise, but also effectively dampens the impact of sound.

Why Choose Us?

  • Professional and reliable
  • Flexible appointments to suit you
  • Friendly, practical advice
  • Same day quote
  • Dedicated account handler
  • Booking within 24-48hrs
  • 10 years’ experience in the industry
  • We work with you every step of the way
  • Affordable pricing